I have never been one who is very good at pulling off surprises. Now, don’t get me wrong… I can be trusted to keep someone else’s secret, but for me to actually plan something and keep it from the person I am planning it for is so difficult.
Along the same lines, I have always had a hard time buying gifts in advance of an occasion. If I buy my husband a birthday present early, he typically gets it before his birthday arrives. (OK, to be honest with you, he usually will get it the day after I buy it! Yes – I am that horrible at waiting to surprise people!). I had most all of my Christmas shopping done by mid-November this past year and it killed me to not just blurt out to everyone what I got them. I love buying things for others and then giving. How I made it until December 25th without spilling the beans was beyond me.
There is one exception to my inability to pull off surprises. One thing I love to do is to surprise people with food, especially desserts. I love those recipes that take people by surprise. The recipes usually will have some twist or unexpected element that makes the person taking a bite of it step back for a minute and then beg for more.
My mother-in-law took me by surprise with these Chocolate Caramel Cookies soon after my husband and I were married. She offered me one and upon looking at it I just assumed that it was your typical chocolate drop cookie. When I bit into it and discovered that it had a delicious piece of chocolate covered caramel in the middle, I was hooked. I kept reaching for more and more just so I could get to the middle where the gooey caramel was.
For a different kind of surprise…a surprise you can pass out straight from the oven, give these Chocolate Caramel cookies a try. Don’t be surprised when you walk back into the kitchen to discover they are all gone though. This is one surprise people will not be able to resist.
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
28 min | 20 min prep
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
30-36 chocolate-covered caramel candies
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix together until well blended.
3. Add flour, cocoa and baking soda and mix well.
4. Refrigerate and chill dough for 30 minutes.
5. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 chocolate-covered caramel candy in the center of each dough ball.
6. Form the dough ball around the majority of the chocolate-covered caramel candy
7. Roll each dough ball in sugar.
8. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes.
9. Let cool on pan for 1 minute then take off and place on cookie cooling rack.